Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Not entirely about karate

Another hot night of training!

Yesterday - thankfully an off night - it reached 35C with huge humidity. Thankfully, today there was more cloud cover and while the humidity was still sky-high, the high was more around 29 or 30. By the time training time came around, it was about 23C out.

I drank about 4L of water today, throughout the day, and another 500mL throughout the class then another 500mL plus a Coke :) after class. I may be a woman, but that saying about women not sweating is completely bull in my case. It is, of course, a "clean sweat" because there's so much fluid flowing, but none-the-less, I finish classes even in the cold of winter looking something like a drown rat... so I'm actually having to towel off my hair with my gi a few times throughout class with this heat.

Training was good - my training buddy, Don, and I arrived about 45 min earlier than we normally did, so we had lots of opportunity to stretch out and to go through a few kata to keep them memorized outside of regular class time. We actually went earlier because it might have been "Movie Night" at the club which means no regular training, and Don and I wanted to make sure we had a bit of a workout at least.

As it turns out, Movie Night has been moved to mid-month so we had a regular class. I ran out of steam at a serious level about 20 minutes before class was supposed to be over, so it's a good thing that I went really easy in that extra 45 minutes we gave ourselves before class.

My running out of steam is a constant problem, and one that I've put effort towards resolving a number of times, but fell back in my resolve time and again. I don't get down on myself for falling back, I just know that I need to toughen my resolve and give it another go.

There's always excuses (aka "reasons") for why I fall back, and while I don't feel bad for their presence, I do try to realize them and respect them. And I do believe that the more I pay attention, the more I learn about myself and my natural motivations and how to tap into them and what drains them.

Soooo.... what's my plan? Getting back to walking on the treadmill.

Last time I was watching an episode of Smallville while I walked, which was great but I wasn't drawn to watching Smallville enough that I would walk just to watch it.

These days, I'm listening to Podcasts out the wazoo (free broadcasts on a wide variety of topics, available easily through iTunes) and I'm really interested in learning more about investing, finance, real estate, and the likes. I like that when I listen to these types of things in audio format, my mind is engaged to a point where my vision isn't so important, which is perfect for walking on the treadmill.

I have to co-ordinate with my husband with treadmill workouts, but I think I'll do my first tomorrow, while listening to ..(selecting).. Ed Zollars' Tax Update podcast (likely American, oh well in my case) about uninsured medical reimbursements. It's just under 30 minutes long, which is a good length for my walk, especially considering there's another karate class I'm pondering going to tomorrow night.

Ooops, my husband just came in and said he's going to cook steaks tomorrow night. He is only recently doing this BBQ steak thing and he's doing an excellent job, so when he wants to do it, I want to be there. Maybe I'll train at noon... maybe I'll extend my walk and do an hour instead of a half hour. I certainly have the Podcasts and Smallville episodes to keep me entertained.

At any rate, this wasn't really a "karate" entry, but I promise to soon spend some time pontificating about karate things.

Jill

No comments: