Thursday, August 11, 2005

Changes to treadmill workout

I programmed a new, more challenging, 45 min workout while walking tonight.

Old stats:
  • average speed 3.7mph, with about 40 min of the walk at 3.8mph
  • 2.8 miles completed
  • 6.8 aeropoints
  • ? calories expended (sorry, I don't pay much attention to this stat)
  • max incline, 1 degree

New stats:

  • average speed 3.7 mph, with about 40 min of the walk at 3.8mph
  • 2.79 miles completed
  • 6.8 aeropoints
  • 320-some calories expended
  • max incline, 3 degrees

As you can see, not much of a change to the workout, the major change was the max incline. I targetted my new workout to a heartrate of 155 or 157bpm during the main 35 minutes of the walk, bringing myself up gradually over the first 5 minutes and down gradually over the last 5 minutes.

My walking goals are to maintain a 45 min walk that holds my heartrate between 145-155, so I should be able to use this new program for a couple of weeks before the main part of the walk is getting very close to not keeping my heartrate high enough to stay within that range, and then I'll have to re-examine things. I won't worry about it until then.

No karate tomorrow, so I'll be walking then, too. After taking this time to carefully watch and adjust the incline and speed on the machine to go with my heartrate, it's always nice to take that first walk on the new program, without having to pay attention to changing anything.

No comments: