Sunday, November 20, 2005

Tournament: Bonding with fellow karateka

Tournaments are great, even better when they're out of town like our recent one was. It's those sports trips where I always really got to know people... and I never knew really who it would be on most trips, because who knows what situations life will present you with that'll trigger bonding events anyway??

So, recently there was a tournament in a town 2 hours drive away from home. I rode out and back with two other black belts I've known for the past 10 years and spent a lot of time with those two. We had a great time, we all get along wonderfully and there was a heck of a lot of laughing and horsing around, that's for sure. It was cathartic for the two I was with because they've been working really hard for long hours lately and the tournament was their first "break".

Of course, a tournament is far from being a break... there are officiating seminars to attend before the tournament date and the tournament itself tends to be long... and while it's interesting and fun, it's exhausting as well.

We got into the city early enough to visit the hotel and check in, then sit down for a shot or two of scotch in the hotel room before heading out to get something to eat prior to the official's seminar, so we did just that.

Unfortunately, it seems that I got food poisoning from the seafood stir fry I ate! Before we had even started the seminar I was knowing that I really wasn't feeling well, so one of my karate mates took me back to the hotel to lay down before returning to the seminar himself. I spent the next 6 hours quite ill, but when I woke up in the morning I felt just fine.

I think I'm glad I didn't have to compete after that night, however... it would have been fun to give it a go but I would have tired easily as well, I believe.

So, as a result of not going to the officiating seminar, I wasn't able to demonstrate my centre judging ability to our head Sensei so I wasn't able to centre officiate during the tournament, either. That's okay, I worked the corners and despite having other officials in the group with me being nidans and sandans, I was definitely one of the most educated and sharp officials in the corners. I expect that I'll be centre officiating in January at the latest.

As for the actual competition, it went really well - there was no blood (we're a non-contact karate form, by the way, but when you're doing freestyle kumite, things happen fast and accidents happen) and nobody lost a fight for too many excessive contact penalties, either. Usually there's someone with bad control who socks opponents too often and gets disqualified, but it was all good this time.

The students in our dojo did really well at the tournament, too. Not only did they get medals but they were very good sports and respectful karateka to their opponents, the tournament going on, and the officials running the tournament. And of course, in being those things they were also demonstrating respect and reverence for their dojo and their instructors who taught them how to behave at a tournament.

It all worked out great!

It looks like we might have another tournament in December. I won't be able to compete most likely as I'm having minor surgery this Wednesday, but I hope to be able to officiate somewhat. Maybe I'll work at the tables instead of as an actual official if moving around a lot is still going to bother me by that time (the incision will be just below where my karate belt likes to sit when it's tied). We'll see.

No comments: