Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Walkin' round the neighborhood

I have another hobby aside from Karate which I'm quite interested in and have been building a solid foundation for, for the past 5 years or so, and that's building my passive income portfolio. I've recently decided my investments are going to go into real estate in various ways, and since I'm nowhere near Florida where the prices are nutzo, I think I'm okay in terms of a bubble popping ;)

Tonight I put on my runners and went for a brisk 40 minute walk in my neighborhood. I headed over to a street where I had seen a "house for sale" sign pointing down the road when I was driving around earlier, and set out to find that house.

Well, it turns out that house was the opposite way that I wanted to go, both in my walk and in the physical neighborhoods I'm looking to purchase my real estate investments in (north of a certain street near my house, prices skyrocket), so I walked the way I wanted to walk and kept eyes out for other "For Sale" signs.

I only found ONE for sale house in the 200 or so I walked by, so I made sure to write down the information so I can follow up and see what the deal is. I also paid attention and looked for houses which needed "exterior improvements" - outdated color (one was salmon pink), or peeling paint, or unkept yards is what I was looking for. I wrote down five of those houses. Of course, for now I have no idea what to do with this information, but at least I have it and can ask the question.

The walk was a nice one, I saw a few folks from our neighborhood out exercising or walking their pets, and I made sure to make eye contact, smile and say hello to each one or each group that went by. Perhaps one day I'll be looking to buy their neighbor's house, after all.

Jill

No comments: